Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Future of the Web

Looking towards the future of the Web, there's much to be excited about, and we'll cover that in detail later in this course. But I'd like to conclude by looking at two technologies from Google, one which I've used enormously and the other which is still in the process of being released.


The first is Google Analytics, which is a tracking device to determine how many people visit my sites. It goes further than that, however, because it tells you exactly where your traffic is coming from, which posts are being looked at most, and what keywords are being entered into search engines to find your site. It's been tremendously helpful to me for my movie and television blogs, informing me that my review of a recent TV pilot that I trashed is my most trafficked post on my TV site and that my personal movie awards do seem to be interesting to some people. What's even more interesting, however, is that my Florence blog, which I last posted on in May, is still getting 68 hits a month. I can tell that people often search for my classmates or for good restaurants in Florence and come upon my site. That's certainly a unique thing about the web - putting information out there for one reason and then having it be accessible and reused for a number of other purposes.


Google already has so many fascinating gadgets for the Web, and they're in the process of rolling something even more visionary out. Google Wave is currently in preview mode, but it's been envisioned as the future of communication on the Web. Looking forward, Berners-Lee discusses how we "can expect the Web as a whole to look more like a large database or spreadsheet, rather than just a set of linked documents." That's exactly the idea here, aggregating all the processes and regular functions people use the Web for into one central hub. I'm currently able to access the site but can't quite make heads or tails of it. I believe I have 25 invites to send out, so if anyone's curious, let me know and you can feel free to try and explore it yourself.

On to the last page!

No comments:

Post a Comment